fbpx
January 18, 2022

Jeanne Claire van Ryzin

An award-winning arts journalist, Jeanne Claire van Ryzin is the founder and editor-in-chief of Sightlines.

From decaying films and forgotten footage, Bill Morrison creates elegies to loss and memory

According to the Library of Congress , 70 percent of the silent features made in America are completely lost, and of the remaining 30 percent, only about half survive...

Top stories of 2021

How to select the year's top stories? In the digital sphere, the number of pageviews is only one measure of reader interest. So in evaluating the more than 340 articles...

At Mexic-Arte Museum, 500 years of resistance, reaffirmation and resilience

El Paso artist Angel Cabrales imagines a universe in which the Western Hemisphere averted colonization and indigenous people thrived. Cabrales envisions Mayathmaticians developing astronomical theorems while Olmchemists create new...

Awake in the dark: How Hollis Hammonds and Sasha West ask us about our role in the environmental crisis

Start with “Awake in the Dark” the large-scale installation that is the centerpiece of an exhibition of the same name at the Austin Public Library Gallery. Artist Hollis Hammonds...

At the Carver Museum, the Small Black Museum Residency project breaks new ground

For Austin artist Adrian Armstrong, receiving a three-month residency through the George Washington Carver Museum this year gave him a creative push, especially given the isolation wrought by the...

Ransom Center acquires archive of pioneering choreographer Deborah Hay

Modern dance pioneer Deborah Hay has established her archive at the Harry Ransom Center, the University of Texas research library announced today. Hay's archive constitutes more than 60 boxes of...

The Line-up

Newsline

Editor's picks