Like other museums that are pivoting their programming online during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Contemporary Austin has launched a robust array of online experiences aimed to meet the community’s need for escape, reflection, and distance learning.
A new website — The Contemporary From Home — features art-making activities, streamable performances and lectures, in-depth lesson plans, and quiet explorations of individual works of art. The museum’s Art School is also offering live online classes with its professional faculty of teaching artists.
“Engaging with art is even more important at a time like this,” said Margie Rine, interim director of the Contemporary Austin. “From parents looking to enrich their children’s learning to adults seeking a thoughtful escape from the news cycle, we hope that everyone will find The Contemporary remains a reliable source for inspiring content and meaningful encounters.”
- Create: Easy-to-follow video and text-based art making demonstrations for all ages. Every Friday morning the museum will release a new art making demonstration video. The title of the project and a supplies list is released in advance on Tuesdays. Everything is announced via the museum’s social channels and at thecontemporaryaustin.org/digital/create/
- Explore & Reflect: Digital ways to enjoy the Contemporary’s galleries and sculpture park digitally through video snapshots, tours, and quiet moments of reflection and escape.
- Watch & Listen: Highlights of past performances and new happenings at the museum, including artist talks, lectures, lists of films to stream, and playlists for our current moment.
- Teach & Learn: Providing cross-curricular lesson plans based on art at the museum and other resources for educators, parents, and caregivers.
- Online Art School Classes: Beginning the week of April 12, the museum’s Art School will offer a selection of online classes for adults, teens, and children, including drawing, painting, ceramics, and more. Taught in real time with one-on-one feedback by the museum’s professional Art School faculty. A list of classes is at thecontemporaryaustin.org/artschool