The stages of the Bass Concert Hall and McCullough Theatre at Texas Performing Arts maybe dark these days. But that didn’t stop the technical and design crew of the University of Texas theaters from doing their part in response to the coronavirus pandemic.
After UT Health Austin put out an appeal for much needed personal protective equipment, the TPA scenic and design shops pooled their resources to donate over 250 dust masks and N95 respirators along with 60 pairs of new safety glasses.
TPA is also maintaining full employment for all of its student workers and benefits-eligible staff.
With the extension of stay-at-home orders, TPA has issued a new update on postponed, rescheduled, and canceled shows:
- Bert Kreischer on Apr 25, 2020 (rescheduled to Sep 26, 2020)
- The Beach Boys on Apr 26, 2020 (postponed)
- RAIN: A Tribute to the Beatles on Apr 30, 2020 (rescheduled to Apr 14, 2021)
- A BRONX TALE on May 5-10, 2020 (canceled)
- STOMP on May 30, 2020 (rescheduled to Jan 9, 2021)
- A.R. Rahman at Frank Erwin Center on Jun 6, 2020 (postponed)
- Above & Beyond Acoustic on Jun 12-13 (canceled)
- Blippi the Musical on Jun 14, 2020 (rescheduled to Apr 11, 2021)
- For all updates, see texasperformingarts.org/updates
And like many others, TPA is boosting some online programming, offering videos of behind the scenes happenings of the staff and students at work. You can find that here.