The South Austin Museum of Pop Culture, a music memorabilia and art venue, is leaving its longtime home on South Lamar Blvd. and moving to a space behind Threadgill’s restaurant at 6416 North Lamar Blvd.
And the move necessitates a name change for the non-profit organization. Henceforth it will be the Austin Museum of Popular Culture. The museum collects posters and other ephemera from Austin’s live music scene. Much of the collection is posters and other art by the so-called “Armadillo Art Squad,” graphic artists and illustrators associated with the Armadillo World Headquarters, the legendary South Austin music venue that operated between 1970 to 1980.
Since its opening in 2004, the museum has been in a small donated space at 1516 S. Lamar Blvd. But the property’s owners have decided not to continue that arrangement, Austin360.com reported.
Threadgill’s owner Eddie Wilson, who donated a large collection of art and memorabilia to the museum when the South Austin location of the restaurant closed last year, has offered the North Austin space to the museum for free.
The new location will open Oct. 27 with the exhibition “The Ballad of Jim Franklin: New, Old and Weird.”